John 10 and the Atonement

John 10 and the Atonement

Whenever someone asks me of my view of the atonement i look at them with joy. Many people leave the Reformed understanding because of Limited atonement, because they can't defend it with the scriptures... I defend it with many scriptures and am blessed to have that deep training from my mentors...

When an Arminian looks at John 10 and say it doesn't teach limited atonement, they are forced to ask the question of who is the sheep for whom Christ died? And is there anyone not in the fold of Christ's sheep?

Let's have a look: John 10

- “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.

Right out of the gate Christ mentions someone who is not of his sheep. He is speaking to the Pharisees and is telling them that there are false sheep who entered another way. These robbers could very well be the Pharisees.

- 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them. 7 Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8 All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9 I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.

Second Christ mentions the stranger who calls to the sheep but the sheep won't listen. The sheep of God only hear the Shepherd because they discern the Shepherd from a false teacher (the stranger). The stranger is not of the sheep for whom Christ died.

- 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

The hired hand here is not of the sheep for whom Christ died. The hired hand does not care for the sheep and flees at the first sign of trouble. This could be the false teachers of the law.

- 22 Then came the Festival of Dedication[b] at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” 25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[c]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

Here Christ says directly to the Jews that do not understand, "you are not of my sheep..." He says that the sheep listen to him and they know him and follow him. They don't listen because they don't know him and are not of his sheep. He gives his sheep eternal life.

So whenever someone contests your view of the atonement, bring this chapter up and show them this view... It might open their eyes:)

Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments

Popular Posts