Do We Believe God is Less Merciful than Man?

Do we believe God is less merciful than man?

It is said often, "if the God of your systematic is less merciful than you are, then maybe it is time to change your Systematic." (Rough quotation)

This quote is most popularly attributed to Dr. Leighton Flowers, the director of apologetics for Texas Baptists and the Host of the Soteriology 101 podcast/webcast (a Traditionalist/non-Calvinist podcast that promotes the Traditionalist perspective).

The first time I heard Dr. Flowers use this quote was in his debate with Dr. James White in May of 2015. The subject was Romans 9 and these verses came up:

Romans 9:1-3

"I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience bears me witness in the Holy Spirit— 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers,[a] my kinsmen according to the flesh."

When he said these words the first thought in my mind was "strawman". This argument is a shot at people's emotions, not their theological judgement. It isn't the first time that Dr. Flowers has engaged in emotional argumentation... There are many other cases, including the debate in 2015, where he integrates emotion into his theology to appeal to the audience.

I do not affirm the assumption of the quote. God's mercy, in my theology, is much more powerful and extensive than anything fallen man can feel towards anyone. This mercy extends past our depravity, man-centeredness, hatred for God, willingful sin, rebellion and idolatry and willingly replaces our hearts of stone with flesh, it resurrects the dried bones of our fallen nature and turns it into a body of living flesh...

The reason Paul is in anguish in these verses is because he shows Christian Charity... These were his brethren that have rejected Christ, and he desires their salvation, just as we all are to desire the salvation of everyone.

In our theology, God shows mercy to everyone. He shows salvific mercy to the elect and gives common grace to the non-elect. This common grace allows man's sin nature to be restrained and man can live a better life than he could have otherwise. This is great mercy.

So don't let people use this line on you. It is meant to dig into your emotions and drive your mind away from the scriptures.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments

Popular Posts