Can We Jump Out of God's Hand?

John 10:27 "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me,[a] is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

This verse is normally used by Protestants when we defend eternal security, OSAS, and perseverance of the saints. I love this text, but have recently traded it in for John 6:37-44 as my common quote. But what really gets on my nerves is how people advocating for the other side defend against this verse,

"Oh it says no one can pluck you from his hand, but it doesn't say you can't jump out!!!"

I find this kind of logic humorous and disturbing... Not much thought is given here, either.

1. Are you forgetting verse 28a? "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish..." So if we "jump out" of the hands of God then we will be perishing, right? It's bad and faulty thinking.
2. The word "eternal" means "everlasting" or "never ceasing". When we get this eternal life, it will never cease, while, if we loose it, it will cease.
3. "No man" will pluck us out. Are you not a man? So if you jump out, then you are a man plucking yourself out? Drop all symbolic references to sheep here and think beyond them. Just pause and think of this ridiculousness...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Okay... So this is why I always say that worldview is important. You can't allow untested Tradition to define your Worldview or your scriptural interpretation. I love all of you, but I really need y'all to think these things through.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Comments

Popular Posts